What are Some of the Best Free SEO Tools for Keyword Research?
When computers first came out, it was all about the disk operating system. Today, it’s all about getting people to visit your website to make an online purchase. Google remains the top search engine with its smart algorithms allowing people to search faster and smarter and with the free Google Webmaster Tools like Google Analytics and Google Search Console tool you really see how well your web page, landing page or website are performing.
For example, Google will display answers without a full search query and you don’t need Google Chrome. Artificial intelligence turns the lights on in our homes with a voice command. The same goes for finding websites.
SEO marketing helps people to find what they want when they want it. It’s about connecting the dots with products, such as recommending a product through ads that complements the one you are buying online.
Now you can spend a lot of money trying to find keyword ideas that answer the public’s questions and then try to rank for perfect keywords and long-tail keywords, but we’re going to show you keyword search tools that are free. Using these SEO tools are not only a great way to save money, but they help start your SEO strategy.
Keywords are part of search marketing. This subspecialty of digital marketing was created when marketers realized how valuable words (or keywords) could be when used in search queries. It is through keywords and phrases that a person can find their target audience. They also help a business owner learn more about their customers. For example, a business owner who sells makeup brushes can learn through changing marketing conditions that purple makeup brushes are extremely popular. The business owner can add the purple brushes to his online store to increase traffic and sales. Keywords have a lot of power when you think about it. They can predict shifts in demand as well as create products, services, and web content.
Keywords and phrases that bring in traffic and increase sales for your business aren’t hard to find. You can discover them organically by asking yourself a few questions:
- What keywords are relevant to your website?
- Will these keywords help customers find what they are looking for on your website?
- Will these keywords bring in more traffic?
- Is your competitor using these keywords?
Once you discover the right keywords and phrases for your business, you need to find out their value. The cost of each word will affect CPC budget. Keyword phrases can be long-tail keywords since long-tail keywords are three to four keyword phrases that are very specific to a product or service. A long-tail keyword is made up a seed keyword plus a modifier (e.g. weight loss meals).
They are used towards the end of the buying cycle since these words are specific to what the customer wants to buy. For example, someone searching for “skinny blue jeans size 2” will be ready to buy the product as opposed to someone searching for “blue jeans.” Also, when searching for a product on a website (e.g. Amazon), customers will also find related searches or products. For example, at checkout, a customer will also find products below the product he or she is buying that are complementary. Companies do this create “bundle” packages to get more sales. Keywords can also be used in hashtags in social media to increase a blogger audience.
Some of the Best Free Keyword Search Tools
Keyword search tools do a number of things for business owners, bloggers and digital marketers, such as helping to learn more about their competitors, choosing the best keywords based on their niche, boosting site traffic and creating a content calendar. They will generate a keyword list as well as give you search volume, keyword difficulty, and keyword suggestions. We thought we would narrow it down to the keyword search tools we like (besides our own):
- Google Adwords – Keyword Planner. You can pull information from Google when optimizing your site. It provides data on average monthly searches, your competition and suggested bids (Adwords). You’ll also get new keywords and group ideas, traffic forecasts for a list of keywords and keywords to target with advertising.
- Google Correlate. It generates a long keyword list, which allows you to see keywords that correlate with each other. You can find queries with a similar pattern to a target data series, such as the query you’ve entered.
- Moz’s Keyword Explorer. This tool allows you to add dimensions to your keywords search such as opportunity, importance, volume and difficulty and potential. If you already have a keyword list, you can upload it to Keyword Explorer to get more data on them.
- Adword & SEO Keyword Permutation Generator. It’s a mouthful, but this keyword search tool helps you to uncover new keywords in your niche. It will generate numerous keyword combinations, some of which will not make sense.
This provides keywords not available through the Google Keyword Planner.
- By using Ubersuggest and Google Keyword Planner, you will increase your search results, especially for your industry. It also breaks down results by the letter. For example, digital marketing association, digital marketing articles, digital marketing automation…etc. It will give you common searches from typing in one keyword.
- SEOChat Suggestion Keyword Finder. Provides keyword suggestions you may have overlooked using the other keyword search tools. There are three levels:
- Level 1 – basic results
- Level 2 – deeper results
- Level 3 – below the surface results – also gives associated keywords for all levels.
- Keyword Guru. You can get keywords from Google, Yahoo!, Bing, YouTube, Amazon, eBay and Google Play. It gives you a quick overview of related phrases. This keyword search tool comes in handy if you need ideas for content.
- And finally, the tool Results Driven Marketing helped develop, The Results Driven Metric. This free keyword research tool will provide you with three to five keywords compared to each other, based on a weighted average that finds the sweet spot for Keywords. It plays volume off of difficulty. So the higher the score the better the keyword is because it has volume but is easier to rank for.
Keyword tools can have a specific focus. We’ll cover a few here. KeywordTool.io is an alternative to Google Keyword Planner and is great for long-tail keywords for every search term. Ahrefs is a paid service and will give you backlink audits, link building data, and website monitoring. “Answer the Public “is more specific in that it will give you prepositions, questions, comparisons, related keyword searches and more. For searching long-tail keywords, KWFinder is a good choice. And SEMRush analyzes competition research and helps with backlinks.
You can export your new keywords into an excel spreadsheet using a CSV file. Once in your excel spreadsheet, you can remove duplicates, as well as rank the keywords for best keyword match, competition, frequency and more. You can even export your data into Google’s Adwords. These tools offer the flexibility marketers and entrepreneurs need, whether for daily or monthly keyword searches. They provide a report on a specific keyword, keyword ideas, search results and more. A keyword planner is an essential part of your PPC campaign, so choose wisely.
You shouldn’t use these search tools just to create content (e.g. a landing page or Bing ad) to build your content marketing strategy. SEO tools are valuable resources to help you get your SEO strategy off the ground. It’s important to know which keywords perform best on search engines, such as Bing, Google, and Yahoo! There is a science to SEO and knowing all the factors will help you create a digital marketing plan that will lead your company to success.
There are free keyword and paid keyword tools that will provide the keyword research data to keep up with search trends and the latest practices in content marketing. It’s important to use the best keyword research specifically for your business and/or client. In the world of SEO, a business wants its listing to land on page one of a SERP. This ensures the business will be seen and clicked on by users. However, staying in this position cannot be guaranteed by anyone. It really comes down to expert SEO practices, including discovering relevant keywords and utilizing a keyword planner, such as Ubersuggest.
SEO Keyword Researchers
At Results Driven Marketing, we research for better ways to get access to the best keywords for your business, niche, size, industry, volume…etc. We help you understand the way your customers and competitors think to create an SEO and brand strategy that works. Contact us today at (215) 393-8700 for a free web presence evaluation!
Note: This article originally ran in July of 2018, but has since been updated to provide you with a much deeper analysis!
Important “meta” terms and description used.
- meta description
- meta refresh
- meta search engine
- meta tag
Here are some of our Favorite WordPress Plugins that will help almost website. Most of our picks you will find in the official WordPress plugin repository There are over 55,000 plugins in the WordPress collection and tons more are available thru 3rd parties. There are plugins for almost every function, feature or analysis tool needs that you have regarding the operation and user experience on your website.